Monday 2 July 2012

It’s not what it looks like



I broke the bed. It wasn’t deliberate though. You see I have this ritual every night whereby just before I hit the sack, I wet this old towel and channel my pent-up primitive sexual energy (Korean air will never hear the end of this joke, we still have some good mileage for the guilt trip we will take them) swatting them pesky mosquitoes. Living in this ghetto means that we have poor drainage systems with still water that are rich breeding grounds for these insects. As a derelict I can’t really choose where the house I crush in is situated. Beggars can’t be choosers right? This is the best I can do to try kill these mosquitoes who have turned my body into an all-you-can-eat buffet. Msschew!

So last night I was on top of the bed doing my thing... swatting the mosquitoes... I mean. Then WHAM! The bed comes crashing down under me. In the morning my brother who is a heavy sleeper saunters into the living room to find me curled in a foetal position on the couch. I tell him what happened and he offers to look at it.

He flips the mattress and the tawdry puckered beddings, to find the mangled bed then he gives me the “what-the” look. ‘What were you doing in to this bed’? I explain to him the story and he gives me this look like he is not buying it. I don’t blame him because as I narrate the story, it sounds ridiculous even to me.

He goes on to explain something Physic ish about sijui pressure over Area force...something ...something... ZZZZZZZZ.

I don’t know why he never dumbs down this technical stuff for me.

(he lost me at something about the bed meant to support my by body spread out not on one area -or something like that)

This incident got me thinking about the Athlete Kemboi and Njeri story. There seem to be a lot of unsolicited opinions from different people about what they think might have transpired. Since Kemboi is well known more people seem inclined to believe his story. And am thinking what if Njeri is actually telling the truth. I mean the truth isn’t always logical or black and white. Sometimes it can come off as convoluted and strange. (Take the Korean air ‘primitive energy’ story, what if it was just a case of meaning lost in translation and we were too quick to go postal on their behinds. Although I think being international they should have ensured that the words used on the adverts are not offensive) Sometimes when people tell you the truth is sounds like a whole load of cobblers and you couldn’t be bothered to believe it. Anyway everyone is titled to their own opinion and it’s up to the court to prove whose right.

Ps. They lied, the truth doesn’t set you free, they set the other person free.

No comments:

Post a Comment