Wednesday 23 May 2012

My Happy born day



So on Friday was the eve of my birthday. I know am too old to make a big deal out of a birthday but I was secretly hoping that it doesn’t go unceremoniously like it has for the last few years. Just as I was biting my nails (I know it’s a gross habit) thinking of how it would be, @fuegocassey enters and surprises me with gifts.

Just as I was about to open them, she adds a twist to it. Trust her to make life a little interesting. I was to open it on my birthday! Imagine that! Unfortunately I was able to notice that one of the gifts was edible...CAKE. 

yes, i ate it right out of the box!

By midnight it was all eaten, I cheated...well kinda because the other gift wasn’t opened until Saturday morning. But I would be lying if I didn’t say that curiosity almost got the better of me. I was shaking it, tried to put some magnet next to it to see if the gift was metallic but alas!

The gift ended up being what I hoped it would be and more although I still do not know how to use it seeing as the instructions are given in French. The only French I know is voule vouz couche avec toi (told you my mind is the gutter) I will be damned if I go to France and get me a Monsieur and I don’t know how to ask for some milk in my cocoa.lol

The next morning, that is Saturday; as usual Kenya power did their thing and cut off power supply. I mean it was not like it was my birthday or anything! Luckily I got round to reading my book of the month “Things can only get better” by John O’Farrell whose other book I reviewed in a previous post.

Isn't that the most cutest angry boy you have ever seen?


Although it’s about politics it’s hilarious as hell, I think I just found my new favourite writer. The whole book is a chronicle of the 18 miserable years he has spent supporting the labour party in Britain.  I will do a review of the book as soon as I finish.

Fast forward to the evening; I was at the stand where I buy mutura to spoil my self once in a while. I have tried to stop this habit because the mutura seems to be going straight to my hips. I remember there was one interview when Amani was asked a couple of questions and she said she likes making plans/resolutions on her birthday and I thought it was cool. It’s more personal than making plans with the rest of the world on New Years. So my new plan is to stop taking too much meat and over salting my food because I’m just a few years away from osteoporosis. I tried to get my brothers support and he tells me that he did not make it all the way up the food chain to eat plants. OUCH! Apparently according to men you are looser if you don’t eat meat. Like the John O’Farrell’s book he says how he was working in some construction site after clearing school, the men there thought he was dumb for being vegetarian and treated him differently. I guess every time dudes eat nyama their cojones grows bigger huh?

So am standing there in a hoodie so that no one sees me then my brother sends me a text, Do not cook dinner. I go back to the house sit and he comes in at 9pm to a very hungry woman. He brought chicken! Now I guess my resolution will have to wait until next year. You see if I know am going to loose a battle, I don’t even start. I love myself too much! You call it weakness; I call it self- preservation!

 I over-indulged in some junk food as we played the guitar (ok he played the guitar as I attempted to sing my lungs out). I had forgotten what a riot my brother is. Growing up we were inseparable as we are one year apart in age. But school and work made us disconnect at some point but now am glad because he has grown to be a very responsible young man. Although am not so sure about the weird stories he tells me all the time. I think he should be a writer because he comes up with the most bizarre Alice in Wonderland stories and swears they are true all the time. Like this time ati his buddy (am pretty sure it was him.lol) was dating this lady with a shady past. So this day they were walking along the street then some dude comes up to them and b*tch slaps her across the cheek smack in the middle of town. Before he could even lambaste the stranger, he quickly walked away. The chiq never protested or cried. Apparently she had taken the man’s money but never gave up the goods. I didn’t laugh because the story was funny, but because my brother was telling me the story with a straight face. This is the stuff which I only see in movies.

Anyway I got to listen to some of the music he is into (It’s also another bad habit I have, going through peoples music collection! Fuelled by Ross’ book  ‘PS – I scored the bridesmaids’) Although am not into jazz I liked his Kirk Whalum, Kevin Whalum, Isaac Mugunda, Jonathan butler, George Benson, Paul Jackson Jr. collection and the others like Carlos Santana, John Mayer, George Benson, Juma tutu band, plus  Kidum. Then there is Deitrick Haddon, Adawnage band and Eric wanaina’s ‘Love and protest” album. In Eric Wanaina’s Album I loved the ‘Mariana” song the best.

The ladies too, Christina shusho, Eunice njeri , Alice Kamande (these mama’s are fine, the Lord has really been good to them.lol - am guessing that’s why he listens to them- more like watch them).
Jazz music wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t do the corny stuff like make cum-faces when they do dub-a-dub-a-duba-durum-diri-doob-doob-doob ... and those other funny incoherent sounds as they “sing”. My brother mostly listens to these songs to perfect his guitar playing, no wonder he never notices these things. 

And good ol’ Carlos Santana, I have over the years appreciated his music mostly collabo’s with other singers like Dido, Seal, Product GnB (where did they go btw?) and Singer Musiq but I didn’t know he is one of the best guitar players on earth. I just wished he had a stylist; he wears over sized “Hawaii” shirts and funny shoes. But I respect the fact that he is never fazed by the scantily clad chiqs in the music videos, he is always hard on his guitar (as in playing it with dedication- forgive the pun).

It was also fun watching Jonathan Butler play his guitar with his left hand. How do you even learn to play the guitar that is designed for right handed people? At first I thought he was playing his guitar upside down. And bro decided to lay on some information on me. Apparently singers have bigger lungs than the average human beings! Never knew that! No wonder they normally have big upper bodies, and here I am thinking they are always hard at work on their abs in the gym.

After he turned in I got out my CSI series. I never get tired of them- drives my siblings insane. They do not get why I watch them over and over. In College I used to think it was corny when Horatio said something profound while tilting his head then moving away from the camera’s view to give the words a few minutes to marinate. Now when I watch it all over again, I kinda love it. And the theme music...

...Out here in the field,
I fought for my meals,
I get my back into my living,
I don’t need to fight to prove am right,
I don’t need to be forgiven
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

After TrueBlood’s tv series theme music this is my next favourite.

Anyway this is just a recap of my birfday.  I think it is going to be a good year, I can feel it in me bones.lol

No comments:

Post a Comment