Saturday 14 April 2012

Book review

I was stuck in traffic a few days ago and a frightening thought came to my mind! I spend about one and a half hours to get to town, then the same going back home in the evening. So according to my calculations that is 3hours a day wasted chocking on people colognes and sweat in the mat. In a week that's 15 hours, in a month that's 60 hours... in a year that's 720hrs of my life spent doing nothing. So in a lifetime calculate the number of hours of your life spent stuck in traffic which , mark you, you will never get back!

So as a resource full person I decided to utilize this time by reading books and guess what i managed to finish a book of almost 300 pages in just a week. Now I look forward to getting into a matatu every morning and evening because at least I get some reading done. I had started slacking off but now am back on track. Too bad my kabambe has no dictionary so am forced to infer the vocabularies i come across...sigh!

I have also discovered some young men along Tom Mboya street who sell nice books at only 50bob. At first I thought they were tricking me so as soon as they gave me the book I ran all the way into the mat lest they follow me for some more(money, i mean). I'm just sad that they do not know just how expensive those books are in the bookshop. They are settling for less but am happy because at least I get to buy books with my lunch allowance. I have lost 4kg thanks to reading books #truestory. I went to the hospital yesterday and as usual they weighed me and asked me if i was preggers (but that's a story for another blog). I was shocked to find that I have started loosing the weight I had gained over Christmas. Now if only I can find my new years resolutions list which I had written last year...oh well!

The book I have just read is called 'When will Jesus bring the pork chops" by George Carlin. 

Just as the title suggests the writer mocks Christianity and other religions. He also says in the reviews that I have read that it was intentional as he wanted to irritate them. The cover also pictures him sitting where Jesus sat in the picture of the last supper with an empty plate and forks as if he is waiting for a second helping of food.



The book mostly mocks the American language which is famous for euphemisms. He reckons that Americans have gone soft as they try to feminize language. He thinks people are trying to run away from reality by hiding behind politically correct language. He doesn't spare anyone in his sarcastic words from politicians, the hotel industry, schools, relationships and yes even religion. Like when they use words like Issues instead of saying problems, mentally handicapped for crazy people, differently abled for being slow,Severe appearance deficit for being ugly,full-figured for fat people. 

He wonders if eventually we will have to change the phrases that use these words eg it's not over until the full-figured woman sings, In the kingdom of the blind(visually impaired), the one-eyed man(partially-sighted person) is king, an eye for an eye renders all of us visually impaired.

You can read his quotes in  When will Jesus bring the pork chops-Quotes to get a feel of what the book is all about. I must warn that if you don't have the stomach for all the vitriol atheist spew you will be really offended by the book so brace yourself. In my opinion I think he is funny and wonderful to read with a dark sense of humour. Think Fahreed Khimani (of X-Fm Radio) and Holden Caulifield ( fictional character in "The Catcher in the Rye") but only on ten pints of "grandpa's cough medicine" lol. 

The book has been broken down in sections sort of like a compilation of blog posts with a running theme from beginning to end. Its best for people who hate those looooong books that have to be read all at once in order to make sense of it all. It gives you the option of reading the topics you like and ignore the once you do not care about. Anyways if you read it be sure you will be entertained!

ta ta 

lovely people!

ps for those who hate reading there is an audio version of it on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment