Friday 13 January 2012

my sojourn in Nairobi City

Guess what woke me up today? I know you are no psychic but just guess!
No not the alarm...not my neighbour's house help singing off key...not my siblings playing loud music. Its was a gecko!


It actually fell from the roof right next to my face and nearly gave me a heart attack. I wanted to scream but i didn't want to wake the neighbour's kid who cries over and over and over...ok you get the picture!I remained still so that it could go away without coming my way.

I felt relieved when it went away but it was soon replaced by fear. I mean if i couldn't see it then it could be anywhere including my bedsheets. I decided to remain in bed because it was warm then i heard another soft thud, the stupid gecko dropped on my bed...again! so i decided to wake up, obviously the ugly creature wasn't going to let me sleep. I know what you are thinking...that am probably making this stuff up, or maybe it wasn't even a gecko. Or it's Friday the 13th and am being paranoid for nothing. I know what i saw, my bed sheets are black and the gecko is white so it would be pretty hard to miss it, right?

Anyway, Happy new year again! I finally moved to Nairobi to try and find new opportunities(as my referee puts it). My parents had this bright idea to bring me all the way to my new casa via personal vehicle using shortcuts so now i don't know where i am or where to get a bus to town.true story! One minute i was in Parklands the next i was in a maze of roads going up... down...tunnels...i was too dizzy with trying to soak in the moment that i forgot to mark the routes we used #blondemoment.

I have been here for a short time and my old friends have sniffed me out, news sure does spread fast in this town. I am so excited that i may have overbooked my weekend. See anytime my Nairobi pals call me and ask for i date when we can hook up i find myself saying the weekend would be ideal so now i have too many people to see and so little time.

I have fallen in love with Nairobi all over again. Did you know they have banks, supermarkets, pubs, schools near residential areas? I can stay here in my house without even having to go into town to get anything. How awesome is that? I can even go into the bank with no bra with just my pj's on...bliss! The agency banking that is a foreign concept in my village is now a regular occurrence in Nairobi. No more queuing at the bank to check for your balance.For real i love you Nairobi!

There is running water, i can take a shower which is a contrast to what happens back in my village. The first time i had the toilet flush i almost had orgasmic seizures. I kept playing with the water in the shower that i used up all the water in the tank. But the watchie told me they pump it in the evening? I swear i love Nairobi!

I don't know why people whine about how Nairobi is this or that...I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. You even have someone who collects your garbage daily, i leave my shit outside the door and when i come back...poof! it's gone. Who needs a man to take out the trash anymore? These little privileges that the Nairobi people enjoy and take for granted.smh!

I only have one problem though,its too cold especially at night. My flat is in the middle of two tall buildings so we get no sun, fresh air or light. Clothes don't dry, since am on the first floor the person who hangs his clothes above mine lets the water drip on my clothes and gives me homicidal thoughts. The lights have to be on 24-7, so am thinking the bill is going to give me a mini-attack.lol.

Did i say one problem? i meant three! There is too much noise around here. We are near the road so the vehicles hooting, sirens, car alarms going off, people who have huge speakers in their cars and play loud music. The blaring music from inconsiderate neighbours, the babies playing in the stairs till late into the night which i don't understand. Why parents allow their children to play as late as midnight...where are the child services in this town? i mean this are school going children being deprived of sleep yawa! The fridge is too loud, the thingy that pumps water drives me insane and my neighbour upstairs is always pacing around or dragging stuff on the floor which is pretty anoying. I have even thought of where imma bury his body( i kid, i joke don't tell any one i said that). I wonder if i can report him for suspicious activities?

Finally the traffic jams! Imagine i can be like a five minutes walk from the house and a jam keeps me there for like one hour!!!I always want to get off, but i don't see anyone else moving so am thinking maybe its a faux pas. I'm still learning the way of carrying out myself like the town folk as there are so many things i still don't understand at all. Like how the women stay fresh, beautiful and hot all day! Do they even sweat or something. They look like they walked out of the covers of the glossy magazine i see in the magazine stands in my village. I could taste the rainbow with them tihihih. And the men...wolololo they make me wanna leave the one am with.gawd! They smell so good , wish i could live in their armpits forever. They are not only handsome, but they are beautiful men. These men were not made, they were created. They were created on a Monday when the Lord was not tired as he had just come from resting. Reminds me of Estelle's song -American boy, only in my case its -Nairobi Boy.

Anyway am here, i don't know for how long but i plan on enjoying every minute of my time here. Asante lovely people. Have great day!

ta ta

No comments:

Post a Comment