Tuesday 24 January 2012

jump the broom already!

This is the New Year and I know there are people who made resolutions despite the fact that I told them thatit was a bad idea. Who listens to me anymore? And because you are going to do what you want at the end of the day…F my opinions.

I’m pretty sure there are some of you contemplating getting married this year. Some of you have even arranged a proposal for valentines ,which is around the corner. Now for those who are still thinking whether they should jump the broom or not…well here is a few advantages which you might want to go through to help you make up your mind. I am no wedding expert, but I have plenty of married friends and I see the perks they enjoy that I don’t:

Prestige and honour

There is a certain respect given to married people that single people don’t enjoy especially women. Explains why there is so much negativity surrounding the word “spinster”. If you don’t believe me next time you go to a party where no one knows you, tell people you are married and see how differently they treat you from your single friends. It explains why women stay so long in abusive relationship, there’s still too much shame in being single and worse being divorced.

Married women treat their single friends with suspension. Some how people have gotten it into their heads that all single people do is sleep around and do God knows what! One of my pals always insists that I wash my hands and face before I do anything when I wake up in the morning in her house. She claims she doesn’t know where my hands have been. My mama always telling me not to touch our kid sister’s food...again, she doesn’t know where my hands and mouth have been. Surely! What do you people think single people do all day? gawd!

Anyway…once you are married your parents, pastor, friends etc will leave you alone. Because then, you will have done the grown thing which is seen as a sign of maturity.

Financial gain
This is where both spouses have a salary. His/her salary compliments your’s, you can even pull your resources together and make investments. You are able to divide expenses which ease the financial burden on the two of you.

Studies show that married men have more money in the bank than their single brothers. This is because they are more focused and want to secure their family’s future they slow down on buying luxury items. Now you know why mistresses love married men.

This explains why when people divorce some go into debt especially the women and are forced to sell some household items, personal assets, while some have to redeem some financial investments (but that’s not going to happen to you)

Some countries even tax couples on their joint salaries instead of separately hence the two can share the tax burden which means it eases the financial burden on both of them. Some countries even consider those who have dependants and makes considerations during tax filing which means single people with no responsibilities don't enjoy such breaks.

Health gains
You will have a life long companion, warm bed, boost immune system, live longer, less depression, improved self esteem, great meals/ eat healthier – assuming wify can cook. You will share problems and joys. This is why married people gain weight.

My favourite is the joint health cover offered by most employers. My married friends just flash mzee’s card and they get attended to at the doctor’s office. They have great dentists and give birth in awesome hospitals. My dental plan right now is to chew with the side that doesn’t hurt. But if I was married, I would have bleached my yellowing teeth(thanks to Nakuru water), maybe even get some braces to help my buck teeth…sigh!

Parenting/ raising kids is easier
Raising children is easier when both parents are around. It reduces the chances of children ending in divorce, helps break the divorce cycle.

They take turns in attending PTA meetings, sports, holidays etc when parent is at work. At least it is much easier than dropping the kids at the curb and speeding off when it is your Ex’s turn to be with them.lol.

Satisfying sex
Don’t believe the hype...married people have satisfying sex more than single people (notice I did not say great sex.lol).

Hebrews 13: 4 says “marriage is honorable among all and the bed undefiled”…which means there is no shame when having sex within the marriage union. Although some scholars argue that this verse doesn’t give couples the license to get too freaky and think anything goes…but that’s an argument for another blog post.

This is why you see when a married woman is pregnant she is proud but when a single person is pregnant more often than not they will try to hide it at first. There is shame in having pre-marital sex especially if it results into a love child.

Career growth
Married people are more likely to get faster promotions than singles. I remember at my old place of work there was one post with two candidates. It was given to one person who was married and every one was happy. Apparently married people need the extra money than the singles.smh!

Also knowing that people depend on you makes married people work harder and climb the corporate ladder to give their families and dependents a better life.

Religious benefits
God love marriage and sees it as a blessing hence the verse “he who finds a wife finds a good thing” or something close to that. (Notice they didn’t say he who finds a husband…LOL!) Guess marriage benefits the man more or???

Anyway getting married also have some blessing attached to it and other spiritual gains which am not really conversant with seeing as am not yet married!

So go on, put a ring on it my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment