Tuesday 29 November 2011

nobody is perfect, except God

When my kid sister (the last born) was around three years old, she woke up in the middle of the night complaining of a stomach ache. She was rushed to hospital where my mother was informed that it was pneumonia. After six hours there was no improvement she decided to seek second opinion where she was told that it was her appendix and asked for permission to operate and they did.

Months later the same thing happened and my mum went for a third opinion and the asshole of a doctor decided that it was the appendix acting up. My mum was now confused. I mean how many appendixes (sp) does a human being have???

After moving from doctor to doctor my mama found out that my sister had sickle cell anemia and the doctor then proceeded to treat her and to this date she is still my sister’s doctor. Even her school has her number. If she has any crisis they just call her and she always come whenever she is needed (she’s awesome, her name is Njoki btw) my mama always tells her to insist on being called Dr.Njoki. She is now the daughter she never had but always wanted.lol

Sickle cell is simply (ok there’s nothing simple about it) an inherited genetical disorder whereby the Red Blood Cells instead of being round and smooth to allow ease of moving through blood vessels they are stiff and form the shape of a sickle. Instead of the sickle-like RBC's living for the usual 120days they die after 10-20days. They die faster than the body can get rid of them. They then cluster together and cannot easily move through the blood vessels causing blockage (fyi they can block anywhere. Men… I mean A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E) and stops movement of oxygen carrying blood. So the patient has a chronic short supply of red blood cells which causes anaemia. The blockage can cause pain ANYWHERE in your body without warning. For my sister it has always been her hip bones and jaundice. Her bone under the x-ray machine looks like that of a 70-80 year old man. I remember my mum going to get her pain medicine and the dude at the chemist wishing my dad a quick recovery of his hip. Ouch! Theres no cure but my mum got off the internet that there’s some bone marrow surgery that can help but the downside is that you can die on the table. It’s 50/50 and expensive as hell and I think it’s not yet available in Kenya. It’s at the experimental stages. I don’t know where she read it but am too afraid to look. But that discovery gives my mum so much hope that I haven’t voiced my concerns over the possibility of death. It’s too much to think about.

My other sister has been confirmed as being a sickle cell anemia carrier. She has never had malaria in her life because of this. Now she not only has to worry about some jackass breaking her heart, she has to worry if he is a carrier too. Now when does she whip out the information after the first date? second? six month? Life is so damn hard sometimes.

btw anyone about to get married please go for genetics counseling along side your pre-marital counseling- thank me later!

I have watched my mama go in an out of hospital with her and that’s why the Rose (the girl with cancer) story touched me so much. I remember some idiot joking over the internet how she is being coached to say stuff and shit. People can be so mean and cruel. Sickle sick has changed my family in so many ways but it’s manageable so I can’t even begin to imagine what Rose’s mother is going through. All Rose and her family is tryna do is fight for her life and get her money for chemo and I bet if it was any of you you’d do the same if not more. This one time my sister came home and told us how some kid at school said she was going to die(i hate google sometimes).Gawd! Some of the things that come out of peoples mouths sometimes. Isn’t there anything sacred any more to these people?

But I didn’t intend to digress, I just thought I’d get that out of the way…It was burning my conscious and I couldn’t let it go till I got it out! My message today is that people aren’t perfect. These doctors for example sometimes don’t know what they are doing all of the time. But we look at them with so much hope that they feel the need to come up with answers even if they don’t have them in order to justify their importance/salary. . Like how I found out that my optician is driving me blind slowly and I didn’t even know. Giving me glasses at a tender age of 13 and giving me powerful lenses than necessary. Now I can’t see without my glasses. People are not perfect they might (not might..they will) fail you someday.

That’s why we all need to find strength from somewhere else; we need God in our lives to strengthen us.

The love of man is conditional and has an expiry date. But the love of God is eternal.

It is better to trust in the Lord than depend on human beings.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to depend on human leader.
Ps118-8,9

…cursed be the man that trusteth in man….

Who can understand the human heart?
There is nothing else so deceitful: its too sick to be healed. Jeremiah 17:5,9

The verses above go on to show that man is unpredictable. Even the word of God says clearly that cursed is he who puts his trust in human beings, the strength of mortals as some version puts it.

Your mother is human and can’t love you the way you want. Your friends can’t love you the way you want same for your spouse, boss, pastor etc. As we approach the election year, I can feel the peoples yearning for a new leader who will bring something fresh. They want a 'Messiah' so to speak despite the fact that most of the people contesting were there in the old regime and haven't really purged themselves of the nasty habits like corruption.They are all the same...we are all the same. We are all corrupt thanks to the system that brought us up. The answer lies in seeking divine assistance. Only Gd can save us!

It is better to trust in the LORD than depend on human beings...


We are born with that void in our hearts that only God can fill .We all want magic, we all want miracles. Explains our obsession with movies like harry porter, Lord of the rings, priest, Source code,adjustment bureau, inception, black swan, Dorian gray. We are looking for that out-of-this world experience. We need God to complete us.

I hear people describing their ideal partner and am like...dude you are describing God...no one can meet some of your criteria. Especially women -your lists are just too long.

Some of us are mad at how our parents raised us, not knowing they didn’t know better. They did the best they could with what they had. Where they failed ,only God can take over. I told God when I was in High school that I wanted him to be my father and take care of me. I can testify that he has always supernaturally provided where my natural parents have failed. I have never lacked the essentials. I have gone through bad things but I always make it through.

When you stop looking at people to fix you is the day you will be free. Right now am unemployed and I have not lacked at all. I get by everyday through faith. If I looked unto man I would have lost my mind along time ago (if I haven’t lost it already).

When dealing with people be accommodating of their weaknesses and you will be surprised at how they try to give you their best. And always remember...living with you and your weaknesses ain’t a picnic either. No one is perfect.PERIOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment