Sunday 30 October 2011

men and women can't be close friends


Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but not friendship
-Oscar wilde-



His name was…wait I can’t say his name. ..Let me call him M. He was a very beautiful man, my first Mr-maybe (like maybe we could have gotten married and had those rug rats and made my grandma happy). I loved him to the moon and back. If you squint kidogo, I swear he looked like Denzel Washington (haki ya nani). The sun rose and set in his eyes. We had lots of fun times. He even have a picture of me in his wallet ( I find that romantic, especially since he took the photo without me knowing. Yeah it’s silly but it made me feel all warm inside-and no I didn’t have gas). He was more than I could ever ask for (true story)... I don’t say that about just anyone.

But…( there’s always a but). He had a female best friend. If you thought Karma is a bitch, you are wrong. Karma is a cold hearted witch, who decided to punish me for my present, past and future sins. The girl was called Vicky- like me. They happened to be workmates and they spent way too much together. They had private jokes and finished each others sentences, it was actually creepy. It’s the sorta closeness you saw in movies as Mr.Ruto would put it. They even had nicknames for each other. Whenever we hang out people thought I was the third wheel (and it felt like that too). M thought it was cute that his ‘gals’ had the same name. I didn’t want to be the bitchy girl friend who was insecure and isht, so I held my peace (it was hard, it took a lot for me to not go hara-kiri on myself)

A day couldn’t go without him saying Vicky this , Vicky that. No matter how hard I tried to ignore it Vicky was a very big part of his life and she wasn’t going anywhere. I can’t tell you how many times I fought the urge to call that heifer and tell her what I really felt, but my huge ego wouldn’t let me. So I held my tongue as long as I could, until I couldn’t.

The last straw came on her birthday. We had made plans to meet that day and being the typical man that he is he forgot her birthday. On the day before our date the idiot calls and tells me he can’t make it because it’s her birthday. I was so pissed I could taste the bile in mouth. I wasn't even invited... She won... Vicky finally won. I gave him an ultimatum that if he didn’t show up that day, he shouldn’t bother coming at all. Yep, he never came. I can’t begin to tell you what that did to my ego and self-esteem.

Days later a friend told me that the two were officially going out. I guess they hooked up on her birthday. As Job in the bible lamented “that which I have feared has come upon me”. I felt betrayed..that Judas(atleast judas did it with a kiss). I was even angry with myself especially since I saw it coming but I lied to myself that I could win his heart and keep him.

Don’t let anyone fool you. Men and women can’t be close friends. It’s just bs some people are tryna sell us, and I ain’t buying. Why do you need a female friend and I am here? I have male friends who are married and I always take a step back and I don’t call them that often. I trust that the person they chose can take over all my duties and more (if you know what I mean).

Anytime i see a dude am going out with, spending way too much time with some chiq with whom they have no blood relation and he whips out words like
"we are close friends”,
"she is a very special friend”,
sijui "we grew up together",
"we are neighbours ocha",
"my course mate",
"we are family friends" ,
"shes like a sister to me"
and my personal favourite “we are cousins” (more like kissing-cousins if you ask me, but you are not asking so…) I run for the hills.

I’ll be damned if I put my poor heart through that ordeal again.
Close friends my ass. Nkt!

p.s. If you are married, engaged or in a very serious relationship, any friends of the opposite sex should be mutual. If your partner doesn't know-YOU ARE CHEATING.PERIOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment