Thursday 25 August 2011

what i should have known about blogging but didnt and now im paying for it in instalments.

I quit my job in June.

…see me and my employer had creative differences. They were creative, I wasn’t. lol.

Anyway I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and quite frankly didn’t know what to do with myself. Then my awesome sister @antwaRogue, God bless her heart, suggested I start a blog.

To be honest until June I knew nothing about blogging. O.k. I had read a few but I didn’t think I really had anything to tell the world but after the first post I was a believer.

For the first time in a long time I was doing something I loved. I have so much to say. I have even shocked myself a couple of times. Like this time I started writing an article set with a title and all but in the course of typing the article took a different turn and became something else. Ive never had that happen to me before.

Usually am predictable and my every move calculated. Blogging has opened my eyes to so many possibilities and found out stuff about myself that I never even knew.

…wish I had done this a long time ago. oh well am here and its not too late.

Then I started becoming scared because I discovered I was in way above my head. My writing is in chaos and its formless and so out there.

Apparently there’s more to the writing process, than merely putting your raw thoughts on paper.

Who would have thought.I mean @antwaRogue never gave me a manual or something. Not that im complaining or anything. She just gave me a computer and told me to go wild and that’s what I did. I didn’t even know there were boundaries. I remember someone reading a few of my articles and telling me “they aren’t creative and a little bit too revealing.

O.k. he put it more crudely but for the sake of my fragile ego I have rephrased it.

After that comment left a bad taste in my mouth I decided to turn it down a notch and I felt very constricted. Being nice and appropriate has never been my thing. Saying what you think people want to read sucks! Breaking my back trying to please “them”.

Who are them by the way?

I guess this are the things you should be warned about when you put yourself out there. Sometimes I wish I had used a pseudonym like all these other people are doing so that I can deal with negative criticism in private. It gets even worse when someone reads your article and the only things they get out of it is your grammatical mistakes. Ouch.


I think some veteran bloggers get annoyed when they see other bloggers struggling to come up. They feel like it’s a mockery of their work, a travesty of the art of blogging.

I have seen some of my old post and even I cringe so its understandable.

I remember asking one veteran blogger how to upload a picture. Oh boy! You should see the reply he gave me. I think I left my dignity in that chat, am yet to go back for it.lol.

A close friend read one of my articles and thought that it was a hit on her. She made me swear never to mention her here. The funny thing is that article had nothing to do with her. Now i have to think about every story i write if is refers to someone i know. Swear sometimes i feel like using the disclaimer that directors use at the beginning of the movie to avoid law suit.

There's this other reader who always reads my blogs and tear it apart every time. Its like the more critical he is of my articles the more progressive he feels. If it isn’t my Titles, then its my pictures , the length of the blog...there's just isn’t pleasing this person.

Wonder why he always gives himself a hernia reading my blogs while he could go watch paint dry.The weird thing is that that reader doesn’t even have a blog, go figure.

I swear if it wasn’t for my sister I would have gone Virginia tech on his judgmental behind. I mean if you don’t like a blog move on to the next there are millions of other blogs which are bound to tickle your fancy.

So these days I have decided to go with trial and error MO and let my imagination run free. And think outside the box.

Wait… ill throw away the box and just think.

Wonder why people always have to think next to a box.lol.

whose box is it any ways..i have never seen it.have you?

o.k. now am just talking nonsense, ill go now...

2 comments:

  1. telling it like it is.
    not like it was.
    not like it will be

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha, you know you wouldnt want it any other way babes.

    ReplyDelete