Wednesday 27 July 2011

my relationship with food

Ive heard this phrase being thrown around of late in the wake of the world wide spread of eating disorders.

I find it funny,imagine taking your food out for dinner or asking it if you look fat in that dress.lol.



In my family,meal times are special as we spread the table and eat to our fill.My mother believes in eating so much that the only excuse for missing a meal in her house is if you are sick and have a doctors letter to that effect.

When i first left my mamas house within the first three months i lost 8kgs and my mum begun to worry and ask if i was eating well.Sometimes she would come around my hood and ask me out for lunch and make sure that i eat well to confirm to that i was fine.



I guess to your mother you will always be a her baby.

The reason for the easy weight loss was because i was able to eat smaller portions and omit other foods from my diet:since i was doing the buying and the cooking,i had more control.In my mothers house there is always so much food on the table that you feel the need to eat a lot.
I remember a non-kenyan lady..

Its the closest P.C. word i could come up with

who came to visit us and found us having lunch.She was horified to look at the portion of food on our plates and started telling us about calories and what Ghee(that i love so much) will do to our bodies.



Poor woman!She could not believe we actually put fat directly to our food on the plate.


My relationship with food is a healthy one.I exercise moderation and i have omitted sugars and animal fat (generally all types of junk) from my diet.I drink sugarless tea and have done so for five years now and i don't miss it.Am also not a fun of juice,sodas, alcohol and my only source of sugar is from fruits and the occasional honey.What works for me is that i eat healthy all week then on Saturday i allow myself to indulge alittle bit in the not so healthy foods and it has worked for me.My advise to everyone is that learn your body and know what works and what doesnt and avoid all the fad diets that they have going around out there.Dont copy anyones diet just do what is suited to your body type and feels right to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment