Wednesday 27 July 2011

Let little girls be little girls

Kenya Power Company (or is it K.P.L.C? reminds me of puff Daddy,P.Diddy,Diddy…you get what I mean) decided to start with the power rationing. My village has been in totally darkness every night for the last one week. To entertain myself I’ve started reading again, so we could say a lot of good has come out of this energy rationing. It’s a shame the way my books have mothballed over the years. Would you believe I have over ten books that I have borrowed and haven’t read yet?

Anyway the first thing I picked up was an old news paper and inside it was a pull out for young children. There smack in the middle of the front page was a young girl not more than eight years was wearing a very short dress. It didn’t stop there; she was posing in a very provocative manner too. These clothes are meant for children for crying out loud (kizuri cha jiuza).You don’t have to make those poor children pose so suggestively. Parents really don’t want sexy clothes; all they are looking for is to cover their kids’ nakedness.



We can’t allow our children to walk around in such clothes .Children should be allowed to be children. The word sexy should not even be in their vocabulary. Now we have got young girls wondering if they are sexy or not. Am also guessing that’s why young girls are having sex way too early in their lives because they think it’s the only way to get the boys’ attention. In social networks teenage girls are uploading semi-naked photos of themselves innocently not knowing the negative attention they are drawing to themselves.

I’ve not heard anyone complain about this and I’m wondering if the newspaper editor who did the final draft has children of his/her own. Something has to change in; na juu ya hiyo story am going to email the newspaper editor and request him not to allow such photos to be put up again in future. He/she may listen or not listen but at least I have tried my best and that’s how I sleep at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment