Sunday 7 October 2012

sayonara nairobi, hello village

So the day finally came. When I had to leave Nairobi..sob..sob... Found a teaching job in one of the best schools in the country and I decided to give it a shot (ok there was an intervention by the friends and family and it was a greed that I had to go) but hizo tuu ni semantics. lol.

Now what they forgot to mention is how far the school is from the main road. And how much further the teachers' quarters is. Next time you see a school in the brochure and they tell you "it is away from the hustle and bustle of the city life" just know it is as far as fudge from the main road. Is it like a government requirement in kenya to have a school built so frigging far????

My friends and family usually say am melodramatic and over exaggerate. Now to convince you just how far I am from civilization look at the pictures below. You know coz they say pictures speak a thousand words... and all!

Now from the main road you will encounter kayaba (whats the English word for this) trees so tall you cant see where you are going


then the road starts to get smaller


until it is only a path


then you see my village...



... don't worry it is not burning, its my neighbour cooking kwa kendo oko.

But just before you get there, there is this rocky place on a hill that you have to overcome.



Everyday I go up or down this rocky place I die a little inside, both literary and figuratively. But occasionally I sit down to read my books and enjoy the breeze. Other times I listen to Asa's Jailer as I come down the mountain coz i feel like a jailer too. When the bell rings the students move and I move too! I have to eat the food there and it tastes like feet. The first week I almost died with this bad stomach ache. Dont gt me started on the no.2 unga mabaro olund that I have to content with. Things are tough (the pun so intended)!

Good thing there is no one around so I can sing out as loud as I want and even do the Kanye  scream in Otis.


Look at that hill mocking me nshit!

I've been only here less than a month and my clothes are starting to get a little less tight on me. This hill right here shall be the death of me. I have no television or radio. Half the time I'm bored to cross-eyedness. My comp finally gave in and died just when i needed him. And to think I have loved him unconditionally for two years.smh! Now i have to go into town every Saturday to update my fb status or even blog.

Since people are just starting to buy land in this place, it is still practically wilderness on one side.


with acacia trees, with wild flowers and all.

more wild flowers



I always step on fresh pile of hot steaming cow dung every morning thanks to daisy here...


Daisy thinks the world is her urinal.lol

occasionally I also step on human shit coz the village kids shit there because they do not want their ass to touch dew in the grass or to have an encounter with snakes. I have even been warned that sometimes wild animals stray into the village especially the hyena. Good thing I watched the god's must be crazy movie so i know how to escape from one.lol.

My neighbours thought it was a good idea to make the chickens watering point smack outside my door! smh



Now i have to step on chicken shit ...


every time i wake up to watch the beautiful sunrise.


I always forget and wake up cursing when i feel the soft moist faeces squish under my feet.lol.

I dunno how long I will be here but i will try to make some lemonades with these lemons that life has given me. I just wish the Confucius charlatans will stop trying to give me stupid advice and encouragements I could get from a fortune cookie. Sending me forwards with photos of eagles nshit finishing up my internet bundles.nkt!. So the eagle flies above the storm wow good for it*claps hands* the fact remains that I'm screwed. Maybe tomorrow or the day after i will be ok but for now I'm friggin pissed!





No comments:

Post a Comment