Wednesday 11 July 2012

Bills of my father



Ephesians 6:2 Honour thy father and mother: which is the first commandment with a promise.

Ephesians 6:4 And ye fathers provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

When I was growing up they drummed the Ephesians 6:2 in our minds. In fact it was the first verse in the bible that I was able to memorize. Not once did I hear the Sunday school teacher mention the 4th verse.

 I guess they did not want us to grow big heads.

Anyway a few days ago we were having a talk with my gal friends and somehow the talk became about our parents. I was shocked to hear horror stories about the mean things some parents do to their kids. One girl was about to get married so her boyfriend came home with his “boys” to pay the bride price. Now the story goes that after the parents saw the expensive car in which the boy came in they decided to up the bride price. What they didn’t know is that the car belonged to one of his friends. When I heard the money quoted, I almost chocked on my Fanta. Whatever happened to dowry being just a token of appreciation? That’s like selling you daughter or something.

 (I suspect this is why some girls never leave abusive marriages; because when they think of all the money ninja paid it’s just not worth it. Besides their parents will insist that she go back because they can’t refund the money)

See when you ask for such high bride price chances are that’s the last time you will ever receive anything from the couple. My B.F.F tells me that is why you find that these days young people no longer help their parents financially. As far as they are concerned, mulimalizana baada ya mahari(read refund) kulipwa.  

What also surprised me is that there are even some cultures in Kenya if your parents eloped and never paid bride price then, when a man wants to marry one of the daughters, he has to start by paying the mothers bride price. I remember in my village a similar case where a girl was in the same situation and her boyfriend was unable to raise the money then she killed herself. That’s just how serious some of these cultural practices can negatively affect the younger generation.

In the past we would watch our parents take care of grandparents and we would visit them every chance we got during Christmas and other school holidays. But all that is slowly dying. One of the ladies told me without flinching, that the last time she saw her mother was 4 years ago. And she didn’t see anything wrong with that! Most people talk to their mama almost every day. If some of you went four years without talking to your mamas, your face would be the first on the K.C.C milk carton for real.

 I think what made it easy for the older generation to take care of their parents it was because their parents gave them the best. They worked their fingers to the bone to make sure they exhaled in life. They even made sure they had property for their children to inherit long after they were gone.

Nowadays very few parents leave behind property for their children to inherit thanks to the high standards of living. Another lady told us that her parents are in their 70’s and still live in a rental house thanks to their father who drank the family’s fortune. Now she has to pay her rent plus theirs.  

We have some parents who think they can use their children as their retirement plan. They invest wrongly and misuse their savings knowing at the back of their minds their children will rescue them in their old age. I was watching with horror an interview of a woman on telly who was asked what she wants for her daughter in future...and the woman goes “I want her to grow up, get a good job and take care of us”. No wonder the circle of poverty will never end in some African society. Even the dreams we have for our children are myopic. You want your child to get a job and take care of you...baas that’s it!

Personally I want my children to exhale in life. I want them to go to out to the world and see things which I have only dreamed of. I want them to be happy and know that they can be anything they want to be. I hope that I be secure enough to never need anything from them. If it means me checking m’self into an old age home with whats left of my pension then so be it. If it means working way after my retirement age then by jove i will do it. I do not want to leave any baggage or bills for my children.

I was talking to one old man a few days back. He told me when he was building the family home he ran out of funds midway. He needed like half a million to complete it. The funny part is his kids are abroad doing very well and they could have easily sent him the money. So when I inquired why he didn’t ask his kids for some mulla, he was shocked “everybody knows you do not take money from your children” was his argument. 

(I guess he has not talked to many parents!)

When I was in high school another boy whose parents had sold stuff to put him through college died. His morose father was so bitter he opened the coffin and started beating his dead body. It was so sad everyone was aghast! The poor mans dreams had died with his son, or rather that’s what he thought! He had already spent the money he thought his child would make in his head but now it was gone.

It’s so sad that now you hear parents dying and leaving their children huge bills to settle. I’m not talking medical bills here. I’m talking gambling debts, credit card debts all which are not that important. 



They ruin their own lives; their children’s lives and are now busy stealing from their children’s children’s future. I was reading a story where a woman took her grand daughters credit card and maxed it out. When she was sued she told the judge that the grand daughter owed her for taking care of her when her mother abandoned her. So sad!

A young man called me for advice a few years back. His parents wanted him to take a loan for a project they were working on. These parents have everything as they were civil servants during their working years and continue to receive their pension to date. What they wanted to do with the money was not that important. It could wait.

 (If it’s a medical bill, by all means take a loan because life is more important than money. If they need money for food or building their homes that is fine too. But for luxury items like gambling, going on cruise, investing etc it’s not worth it). 

When I told him not to do it, people thought that I was callous. The young man was fresh from college, had student loans and was also thinking of pursuing his master’s degree which were more urgent but no one wanted to hear my argument. Well the company he was working with was downsizing and they let him go. I don’t even want to tell you how devastated the man was.

Money is thicker than blood now! And Shakespeare warned you about mixing money and friends (read family) but who listens to advice anymore?

…Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,


If you are a young person, start working for you future and children’s future. If you can, give them a good head start in life with good education. Don’t compromise on education. Even if you and your partner don’t get along, never ever use your child’s needs as a bargaining chip, the kids will pay for it later. In fact the very same parents will be lucky if the collateral damage of neglecting their parental duties won’t come to bite them in the kaboose later. 

Ps. The title of the post was inspired by this famous quotes;

For the sins of your fathers you, though guiltless, must suffer." - Horace, "Odes," III, 6, l. 1.
The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children." - Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice," act III, sc. V, l. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment