Tuesday 19 July 2011

what if your wrong?

I’ve just watched some movie where a teenager lied to her mother that she was raped. The mother then tells the husband who immediately assumes it’s the boyfriend. The man goes on to kill the boy and later on discovers that the daughter lied because she was too embarrassed to admit to the parents she was sexually active. The father goes to jail and the mother and daughter are left to live with the guilt of knowing they “ killed” somebody on false information.

This movie made me think on how many times we’ve punished people for crimes they did not actually commit? They just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time but we were too annoyed to look at it from their point of view. In the movie at least we got to see the unfortunate ending but what about those people who are paying for sins we falsely accused them of and we don’t even know. They are walking around with the hurt we caused them and we’ve got no clue. Like in my previous blog where @Wyndago comments that maybe I’m overreacting to something and blowing it out of proportion. That maybe my friend was genuinely in trouble and needed some space and it was never about me. What if I’m wrong… (Good thing I’m never wrong.lol)

One of my very close friends made me promise that if I ever find her beau cheating I should not tell her. And she also informed me that she would do the same for me too, although I’m not quite sure I would want that. Heres her explanation…what if you’re wrong and you cost me a relationship that would have worked out? What if I’m wrong and I cost some child a father? What if I’m wrong and cost some women her marriage? what if I’m wrong and cost a man his wife and child? I mean think about it, there are people who have been accused of cheating and they really are innocent?

Ive also been watching CASE FILES on KTN and there are people who claim that they are innocent. What if they are really innocent, what have we done???Just thinking about it gives me the creeps! How will we ever make it up to them the time they’ve lost spent in jail?

So before you go reporting something make sure you’re absolutely sure without a doubt you know what you saw. Its not what you think you saw: Maybe its an text that you misconstrued, maybe a jealous friend told you what they think they saw, maybe the person being accused has a bad history so your quick to judge them. It could be anything. There need to be cold hard evidence that cannot be refuted because life is not black and white like some of us think. They are grey areas and we really could be wrong...

2 comments:

  1. Come on. There is finding out the truth and there is running away from it. I'd rather be wrong trying to find out the truth. Ignorance is bliss- thats a naive statement to me.
    The Father in the movie did not find out the truth. He was foolish in many ways. It's like saying, if I'm wrong don't correct me cause maybe I'm right. Pleaaase, by all means correct me and we'll move on from there. The truth is not that hard to find, more often than not its right before our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thing is sweetheart sometimes in your quest for the truth you unearth more that you bargained for.Remeber that phrase in the movie feat Jack nicholson -u cant handle the truth?And sometimes the evidence is so convincing that you dont bother to see it from any other angle.I admire your bravery though.i have in the past gone digging up stuff and ended up with more hurt than when i started...so yeah for me ignorance is bliss!

    ReplyDelete