Wednesday 20 July 2011

There’s no such thing as soul mates…


Yeah I said it.

There’s no such thing as soul mates. I hope I didn’t disappoint anyone out there.

In one of my previous blogs I talked about, being careful about the words we use because we don’t know where it has been. Well, I found out where the soul mate phrase has been. I read somewhere today that this word came from some story from the ancient Greece. (I think you better sit down for this one) The story says that human beings originally consisted of four arms, four legs and a single head made of two faces, but Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them. Hence the phrase soul mate or better half.

Somehow this word has spread so much so that I have even heard Christians use it. Some how they are convinced that there’s only this one person who can complete them. There’s only one person who your destined to be with till the end of time. So this means out of all the billions of people on Gods earth only one has a shot at being your spouse/lover. I don’t know about you but I think something is wrong with this belief.


Why? Because it has done more damage than good. You see people have an idea of what a soul mate should be, so when you come up short they easily drop you and continue with their quest for the perfect one. Human beings are not perfect and some like me who have come undone definitely don’t fit the ideal “soul mate” category. What shot do we have at being chosen as someone’s “the one”. We have also heard people who get divorced and when asked why they simply reply “he/she is not the one”.

I don’t know if this reason is acceptable in court or not, but I’m guessing not. I find it hard to believe that grown people have the balls to even rob their kids of a complete family with the excuse that so and so is not the one. Seriously! So lets say God forbid your soul mate dies what happens then? Do you follow them, or you move or what?

Any who as a Christian I’m inclined to refer to the bible for my beliefs. So if you ain't a Christian maybe the next thing that you will read wont make much sense but your welcome to read on.

The Bible says nothing about soul mates or if we are only limited to only one person. my guess is maybe it’s because when it comes to choosing your spouse God gives you the free will to choose. All he asks is that you involve him in your day to day life activities so that he guides you in your interaction with this person. So as long as you follow the Bibles principles on how to co exist with other people,you will be fine.

If anything the Bible talks about choosing a person then making he/she the one. Look at Mark10:7-8.the man and woman leave the parents and become one. This means you choose the one you love, then love the one you have chosen. Its a choice, love is a choice. Its not just a feeling as some people put it, Its what you want, what you prefer. So it doesn’t really matter how you meet. Sparks don’t have to fly and shooting stars and all the stuff Hollywood, Nollywood and riverwood has told you. I know people who hated each other when they met and later on grew to love each other. Some meet in the most weird circumstances, just listen to the stories on the WEDDING SHOW and SAMANTHA BRIDAL programmes on telly. You’ll be amused.

Women are the ones who mostly believes in the soul mate bs, that’s why they can have a good male pal (a potential lover) as a friend for years and refuse to date them because of stupid reasons like I don’t want to ruin the friendship.wtf!

Men on the other hand always look for opportunities to fall in love. I actually think they are the most accommodating “equal opportunity daters” (yeah I made that word up). They can date their boss, your sister, your mboch, your best friend, brides maid, their doctor etc and not feel weird at all. Every where they go they keep their eyes open. That’s why its hard for a man to stay single for long after a break up. Whether they do it out of genuine love or curiosity is what I cannot quite confirm.

So for the love of (anything sacred) please open up your hearts people, look around you.


Go on dates with people of the opposite sex you might just be surprised to find somebody who you can choose to like and spend the rest of your life with and always remember there’s no such thing as a soul mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment