Friday 22 July 2011

priests and wine

My family is Anglican but I have attended mostly the modern protestant churches all my life only breaking to attend the catholic church in high school (you see it was compulsory there) .

One thing about the churches is that they use non alcoholic wine or black current juice during Holy Communion. I recently accompanied my mother to the Anglican Church and she went to partake the Bread and Wine.

When she came back to sit next to me and whisper I could not believe my nose (or it my eyes). Her breath smelled of alcohol. Soon the whole room was reeking of alcohol, especially because it’s a very small church. Now it all made sense, back at school some of the “fathers” smelled of alcohol and fell asleep during mass. They were drinking alcohol in church (I hope I won’t get in trouble saying this).

I’m told that after mass some priest actually drink the left over wine. Some even become alcoholic because of this.SMH. My mum’s best friend is Catholic and she confirmed this. According to her “the priest is celebrating mass”. I mean what did I think ‘celebration’ meant? There’s so many things wrong with that sentence but I won’t go into it now. I wonder if they have “how not to get drunk while celebrating mass” units/subjects at the seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment